Sunday, June 17, 2007

One Fine Day at Wendy's

Can't 5 bucks buy a lunch anymore?

It can if you order a grilled chicken sandwich and a SMALL drink at Wendy's. I left my purse in the car and took with me only a 5 dollar bill. I didn't even look at prices. WHO KNEW that a freakin' sandwich and a MEDIUM drink would cost $5.17?

I looked at the woman behind the counter in disbelief. I held up the 5 dollar bill limply. "Oh, crap," I said. "I'll be right back! I have 17 cents in my car!" The helpful lady running the register said, "Well, if you don't care about the size of the drink, it's only $4.85." That seemed reasonable to me, but then a voice behind me said, "No. Give her a medium drink."

I thought the dining room was empty; it was only 11:00am. I whirled around to see a rather nice looking man I've never met before. He tossed 17 cents on the counter. "Go on, give her a medium!" he said.

The woman behind the counter and I looked at each other in disbelief. Several thoughts ran through my head. Was it some guy just being nice? Or was he in a hurry and he decided that 17 cents was a small price to pay to get the airhead out of his way?

I decided it was probably a combination of the two, but really, does his motivation matter? I needed to take this as an act of kindness. I thanked him and got the hell out of his way, just in case that WAS his primary motivation.

I know it was only 17 cents. This man was well dressed, and he probably has a job where he makes 17 cents in half a second (I haven't done the math to see how much that could possibly be in a year). But those 17 cents made me smile for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Jinserai said...

Assuming 52 weeks at 40 hours/week without any sort of overtime, you're looking at an approximate pre-tax yearly income of $2,545,920. That's $1224 an hour. What the jumped-up coke-snorting Christ was this guy wearing? Diamond studded platinum lamee with a pair of baby harp seal loafers?

Domhan said...

Never heard of hyperbole, eh Jinserai?

Besides, you KNOW I am a math idiot, smart-ass!

And BTW, they were uber-rare striped baby harp seal loafers.

Candy Rant said...

Didn't someone right here in these comments dress as a baby seal killer one year for Halloween. Methinks they did.

Domhan said...

Hmmm. Must be why this guy was so generous with his cents. He knows who is at the bottom of his clothing chain.